Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Do you bird?

I learned a new term today-birding. It has several variations (I bird, he birds, etc) but they all mean the same thing--bird watching.  And there are hundreds to watch in Hendry Co. in and around the waterways.  They even have a Birding Festival in March which attracts many tourists. The above picture is an Anahinga, one of the birds of the Everglades.  Someone had to tell me this since my knowledge of birds revolves around your typical mockingbird, woodpecker and brown thrasher.  But since I'm here I might as well buy a pair of binoculars so I can join the birders (guess that's a word) to gaze upon these unique creatures in God's feathered kingdom.  More later, but I'm looking for a blue heron.....

1 comment:

  1. Yo Bird! :-D What a fun site. Love the pictures (I really like the background scene, too!) you're posting. It sounds like it will be such a fun place to explore and learn about. Maybe I need to be a tourist sometime down the road and come kayak the Big O! Is it filled with gators or have you gotten close enough to find that out yet?
    Great idea to set this page up. Hope it draws lots of visitors to the county! I know it makes ME want to come. :-)
    Love you cuz.

    ReplyDelete